Why is everyone always hatin’ on twenty-three? I for one thought it was a fabulous year. Old enough to be considered an “adult” yet still in the early twenties category so you can get away with things. Literally caught somewhere in the middle of your early twenties, twenty three is freakin’ awesome.
I can’t even believe it’s already been almost a year since my fantastic 23rd birthday (spent with the fabulous Dave Matthews Band). I’ve heard it said many times; the older you get, the faster the time passes. Ain’t that the truth! Looking back on the strange year I can’t help but smile at all the trips I’ve been on, adventures I’ve taken and lesson’s I’ve learned. I feel that i’ve done a lot of growing up over the past year and learned a lot of useful (and not so useful) tid bits along the way..
1. It’s okay to want to leave the place you grew up in. That’s actually quite natural. Go and do it. Now is the time to be free.
2. Not everyone is your friend but that’s okay. You aren’t everyone’s friend either. Be kind regardless.
3. Good things happen to positive people; stay positive!
4. The sunrise is almost more beautiful than the sunset; wake up early for it.
5. Just because he says he will call- doesn’t mean he will. And sometimes, there’s no explanation why.
6. It’s perfectly fine to be 23 & single. Just because your friends are all settling down with babies and husbands, doesn’t mean that’s right for you.
7. Starbucks Chai Tea is better than Caribous, but nothing beats the local spot on the corner.
8. Some dreams (and men) are better left un-pursued.
9. Never plan for failure but always have that Plan B, just incase.
10. Jury duty isn’t really so bad.
11. Rockstars are just regular ole people who happen to have a neat job.
12. Nothing beats a hug from mom and dad. You’re never too old to need them.
13. Lemon Chello is disgusting.
14. It’s all about perspective. Your dream world can also be your reality- it’s up to you to get there.
15. Lemon in water gets your hydrated faster than regular water! (cool!)
16. It’s way easier to parallel park to the left than it is to the right. (thank you Minneapolis one ways)
17. The best bar in Seattle is PerCYS. I urge everyone to try it at least once in their lives. Seriously.
18. When your friend admits to having a crush on you- let them down as nice as you possibly can. But, make sure they get the hint quickly, if you want to save that friendship.
19. Winters in Minneapolis means lots and lots of parking tickets, beware!
20. Working hard to instill confidence, positive body images and fierceness in my dancers is more beneficial than teaching them to nail that perfect turn combination. It’ll also win a place in their hearts.
21. The Internet is an easy place for people to be negative and hurtful. Pay no mind to them.
22. Miracles happen every day. Believe. Pray.
23. Life doesn’t always go as planned but take a deep breath, it ALWAYS works out in the end.
Now, go do something awesome and make each year better than the last.